The Beginning
McAllister Fire Company No. 2 forms
In 1850 the McAllister Fire Company No. 2 was formed, named after Thibodaux’s first mayor James McAllister. On July 6, 1852, a hand-operated pumper was purchased for $1200. The new pumper arrived in Thibodaux the following year on April 30, 1853. The McAllister Fire Company No. 2 was given charge of the new pumper.
Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 and the McAllister Fire Company No. 2 combine
On June 10, 1858, the Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 and the McAllister Fire Company No. 2 combined to form one fire company. On August 5, 1859 the town of Thibodaux accepted the constitution and by-laws of the combined fire companies and was named the Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1.
Creole Fire Company No. 2 / Protector Fire Company No. 2 forms
A second Fire Company was formed in 1867. This fire company was named Creole Fire Company No. 2. Creole Fire Company No. 2 purchased a pumper from the Protector Fire Company No. 2 of Carrolton, now part of New Orleans. The Creole Fire Company No. 2 name was changed to Protector Fire Company No. 2 to match the name that the pumper bore from its original owners. The motto of the Protector Fire Company is “Deeds Not Words.”
Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 incorporates
The members of the Thibodaux Fire Company No.1 choose “Always Ready” as their motto. The Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 has been active since its beginning except for a few years during the Civil War. The Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 was incorporated on April 23, 1872, and may be the oldest volunteer fire department in the state of Louisiana.
Home, Hook, and Ladder Fire Company No. 1 forms
Early in 1874 a third Fire Company was formed with the purchase of a truck with hooks and ladders. This new fire company was named Home, Hook, and Ladder Fire Company No. 1. The Home, Hook, and Ladder Fire Company motto is “Trust in Us”
Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department Forms
The Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1, Protector Fire Company No. 2, and Home, Hook, and Ladder Fire Company led to the formation of the Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department. The Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department was forms on September 7, 1874, creating a fire board to govern over all three of the Fire Companies.
First Steam Engine
The Department’s first steam engine was purchased in April of 1880 and the Protector Fire Company No. 2. was put in charge of the engine.
Louisiana State Firemen’s Association was forms
The Louisiana State Firemen’s Association was formed in 1906 with Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department’s Chief Charles Riviere as one of its founders. In 1909 Charles Riviere was elected president of the Louisiana State Firemen’s Association. Since then the Thibodaux Fire Department has had a number of its members elected as president of the LSFA.
First Gasoline-driven truck
In 1915 the Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department acquired its first gasoline driven truck. This truck was assigned to the Protector Fire Company No. 2.
Young America Company No. 3 Forms
The Lafourche Comet reported in its March 15, 1917 issue that the Young America Company No. 3 had been formed.
Young American consolidates with Protector
Young America Company No. 3 consolidated with the Protector Fire Company No. 2
Vigilant, Chemical, and Hose Fire Company forms
Thibodaux Bucket Brigade fire company became the Vigilant, Chemical, and Hose Fire Company. The motto this fire company choose is “Here for Duty”.’
North Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 Organizes
The North Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 was organized and incorporated on February 23, 1949 and the members of this Fire Company choose “Actions Speak” for its motto.
South Thibodaux Fire Company Forms
On September 28, 1958 the South Thibodaux Fire Company was formed and incorporated. The South Thibodaux Fire Company motto is “Friends in Need”.
West Thibodaux Fire Company Organizes
The West Thibodaux Fire Company was organized and chartered on January 1, 1966. The West Thibodaux Fire Company motto is “Ever Alert”.
Rescue Squad Forms
In March of 1978, the Rescue Squad held its first organizational meeting. The squad was comprised of the Rescue Chief and two members selected from each of the seven fire companies from the Thibodaux Fire Department.
Communications Squad Forms
At the May 14, 1979 fire board meeting, 2nd Assistant Fire Chief Mike Oncale Sr. made a motion to put a spare fire department radio in the float barn office. Along with a telephone and the “Gamewell” bell to help out the Thibodaux Police dispatcher after a fire alarm would come in. This was the beginning of the command squad, as we know it today.
Bowie Fire Company No. 1 Forms
The Bowie Fire Company No. 1 was the last Fire Company to join the Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department in 1989. The Bowie Fire Company motto is “Service Above Self”.
History
the companies
*current companies in bold
On June 10, 1858, the Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 and the McAllister Fire Company No. 2 combined to form one fire company. On August 5, 1859 the town of Thibodaux accepted the constitution and by-laws of the combined fire companies and was named the Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1. The members of the Thibodaux Fire Company No.1 choose “Always Ready” as their motto. The Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 has been active since its beginning except for a few years during the Civil War. The Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 was incorporated on April 23, 1872, and may be the oldest volunteer fire department in the state of Louisiana.
In 1850 the McAllister Fire Company No. 2 was formed, named after Thibodaux’s first mayor James McAllister. On July 6, 1852, a hand-operated pumper was purchased for $1200. The new pumper arrived in Thibodaux the following year on April 30, 1853. The McAllister Fire Company No. 2 was given charge of the new pumper.
A second Fire Company was formed in 1867. This fire company was named Creole Fire Company No. 2. A pumper was purchased from the Protector Fire Company No. 2 of Carrolton, now part of New Orleans. The Creole Fire Company No. 2 name was changed to Protector Fire Company No. 2 to match the name that the pumper bore from its original owners. The Protector Fire Company No. 2 was incorporated on March 20, 1876. The motto of the Protector Fire Company is “Deeds Not Words.”
A fourth Fire Company was formed in 1887. This fire company was named the Badeaux Bucket Brigade. A few years later the name was changed to the Thibodaux Bucket Brigade. Each member of the Thibodaux Bucket Brigade was issued a bucket and a hatchet. The first used to carry water to a fire, and the second to gain access into a burning building.
In 1888 the Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department with the cooperation of the Thibodaux City Council, purchased a new Silsby Steam Fire Engine for $2,200.
In March of 1898, the Brooklyn Hose Company No 3 was organized. This fire company existed until 1908 when they merged with the Protector Fire Company No. 2.
St Joseph Fire Company No. 3 was organized on March 9, 1911. This fire company did not last long and the last newspaper report on them was that they attended the 1915 Firemen’s Parade.
The Lafourche Comet reported in its March 15, 1917 issue that the Young America Company No. 3 had been formed. Their existence was short lived as they consolidated with the Protector Fire Company No. 2 in May of 1918.
On April 4, 1920 the Thibodaux Bucket Brigade fire company became the Vigilant, Chemical, and Hose Fire Company. The motto this fire company choose is “Here for Duty”.’
The North Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 was organized and incorporated on February 23, 1949 and the members of this Fire Company choose “Actions Speak” for its motto.
On September 28, 1958 the South Thibodaux Fire Company was formed and incorporated. The South Thibodaux Fire Company motto is “Friends in Need”.
The West Thibodaux Fire Company was organized and chartered on January 1, 1966. The West Thibodaux Fire Company motto is “Ever Alert”.
The Bowie Fire Company No. 1 was the last Fire Company to join the Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department in 1989. The Bowie Fire Company motto is “Service Above Self”.